Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Fluorescent light bulbs a great idea


This article earlier this year in the NYTimes finally got me to consider plunking down the extra (initial) dollars to pick up a set of these bulbs and to start replacing the incandescent bulbs in my house.

CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) should save you $30 over the life of the bulb. This is due to the increased life of the bulb (15 times as long) and the reduced amount of energy a bulb uses as opposed to a traditional bulb (1/4 less energy used).

Since CFLs last longer, they make a lot of sense for uses that are hard to reach (and replace) such as cathedral ceiling fixtures and outdoor uses.

Wal Mart found that pushing CFLs might both be good for their customers and good for their PR. Whatever, having the walmartian marketing borg behind the proliferation of CFLs only makes them available to more consumers.

I have replaced all of the lamp bulbs (where the fixtures allow), the lights in my basement and also the bathroom lights. I even upgraded the wattage over the existing bulbs, replacing 40 watt incandescent bulbs with "60 Watt" CFLs, which are actually 13 watts.

I really haven't seen any downside to installing these bulbs, I have heard that sometimes there is a delay from turning on the light switch and seeing the light illuminate. I haven't really had that issue. If anything, I have appreciated the extra light from increasing the "wattage."

Next up, I will start replacing the overhead lights that I have in most rooms.





No comments: